Thursday, September 01, 2005

Decisions, decisions

Now that the screening schedule is released, it's time to pick our film for the annual group outing. Please note: I have VISA screenings each night at 9:00 so I'll have to run if we choose something before those. Also, Pavlina had suggested the GALA Elizabethtown at 9:00 on Sat Sept 10 but I have Tim Burton's Corpse Bride that night and don't want to give it up. We could all go to Elizabethtown on Sunday noon at Ryerson but not sure if the stars will come out. Whatever you all prefer. Here are my suggestions - please give me your top 3 to ensure 2nd choices:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang Thur. Sept 8 9:45, Ryerson
It's by the screenwriter of A Long Kiss Goodnight and stars Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer in a "buddy film noir". Could be fun and the trailers look good (even though Rich HATES Val Kilmer) and it's the first night of the fest so I have no other movie commitments.

Shopgirl Fri. Sept 9 9:00, Elgin VISA Screening Room
Based on the novella by Steve Martin, he also stars with Claire Danes and Jason Schwartzman (I heart Huckabees). I'm already going (it's in my VISA series) but would love to meet before for drinks/dinner if anyone's free.

Romance & Cigarettes Tues. Sept. 13, 6:00 Elgin
Susan Sarandon, James Gandolfini (singing Tom Jones), Kate Winslet, Steve Buscemi and Christopher Walken. Directed by John Turturro. Produced by the Coen brothers. Nuff said.

Second choices are on Sunday and Tuesday:

Thinking (but not too hard) about The Mistress of Spices (with that gorgeous woman from Bride and Prejudice) OR Bee Season with Richard Gere. Both are Sunday around 6:00, same as...

C.R.A.Z.Y. Sun. Sept. 11, 6:00 Paramount 2
Set in Montreal in the 70's (Alison do you hear the call?) We haven't been to a Canadian film in a while but I haven't seen any of this guy's work so who knows but description sounds good (we know the danger of the 'code')

Thumbsucker Tues. Sept. 13, 9:00 Elgin
I am going since it's in my VISA series but Vince Vaughn and Keanu should make it kinda neat. So if you wanna join Ivana and I, please do....

3 Needles
Sun. Sept. 11, 11:45AM Paramount 2
By the Canadian director who did The Hanging Garden. The repercussions of AIDS on 3 continents. Could be heavy but may be heralded. Stars Chloe Sevigny, Sandra Oh, Olympia Dukakis and Lucy Liu.

Please weigh in with your comments or other suggestions and we can decide. We have to hand in the tickets by Friday.

No comments: