Tuesday, April 17, 2007

JeansMarines and Marathons

As many readers know, I started running with JeansMarines in February. JM is a women's running group that trains women slowly, safely and sensibly for the ultimate goal of running a marathon. I'm not saying I'm doing a marathon YET (Honolulu is still in the back of my mind from Reunion 2006) but I did complete my first race - Harry's Spring Runoff 5K - in High Park on Easter weekend and I'm signed up for the Sporting Life 10K running downhill on Yonge St on May 6 (who else is in?) and then the Scotiabank half-marathon on Sept 30.

JeansMarines are really training to run the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC on October 28 but I'm not sure I can do that yet. I just keep saying I'm running the next event. I really like training with these amazing women - they are so warm and generous and the run is a wonderful way to start the weekends early on a Saturday morning.

Next week we will be meeting with the first woman to run the Boston Marathon Kathrine Switzer - here's a link to a recent interview with Kathrine on CBC.ca.

No comments: