Tuesday, January 06, 2009

TOP FILM NOT!

Further to my previous post on my top films of 2008. I can also name my WORST film of 2008 - and possibly of all time. That would be none other than Synecdoche, New York - a play on words of Schenectady, NY written and directed by Charlie Kaufman. The guy was so insufferable in the Q&A following the screening of his endless film that it gave new meaning to the word suffering. And it seems my friends are uncovering accolades for this crap project all over the web. Case in point: http://popsugar.com/2372843 where they call it "a visually stunning and thought provoking masterpiece." Time Magazine called it "an instant Cannes classic" - are they on CRACK???

NOT! and again NOT!
This was possibly the most boring and ridiculous film of all time, making it even borderline offensive (well at least Jennifer Jason Leigh's spontaneous German accent in the film belongs in that category!) Synecdoche (or as Keith likes to say See-neck-dosh to add that French je ne sais quoi) has become part of TIFF lore for me and my peeps and ranks right up there with Tiburzi and the Hips of JW as one of the worst TIFF films EVAH!

Another disappointment for me in 2008 was Burn After Reading. Although I love Brad and George and have tremendous respect for the Coen Brothers, the film was only okay, and did not live up to all the HYPE. I am very glad I did not pay $85+ tax during TIFF to see it as a GALA. In contrast, Quantum of Solace was far better than the negative press would suggest.

What is the lesson?
Choose films based on your gut, then
make up your own mind...

1 comment:

BunkleLife said...

Heee - can we add "Eros" to that list? (which rates 38% on RottenTomatoes, as opposed to Synecdoche's 63%) - 3 hours I will never get back.