Friday, August 01, 2008

Nike+ Human Race

I joined a 10K Clinic at the Running Room at their Commerce Court location (next to Jump) to help me prepare to run the Nike+ Human Race 10K on Sunday August 31st on the Labour Day weekend. Last summer I bought the Nike+ sport kit for my iPod but only successfully calibrated it a year later last Thursday night (July 31) at my clinic when I managed to run 4K. Not bad with a cold after vacation. My online training record shows only 3.26K but I ran 4K because the first .6K was spent calibrating my iPod. And my average pace for 2 runs looks pathetic (22 minutes) because my iPod wasn't calibrated the first time so it looks like I took 45 minutes to run 1.8K (NOT!)

Still, the Human Race is a cool concept. Nike has organized official runs in 25 cities around the world. Even though Toronto is not one of the official sites I can still participate because I have an iPod with the Nike+ system which tracks my mileage and syncs with my Nike plus account online. Wherever you are on Aug 31 you can run 10K and sync up your iPod so it adds your results to those of the rest of the world. Registration is free and I picked one of 3 charities to dedicate my kilometres to (the UN Refugee Agency like the Jolie-Pitts which will help nine million youth to learn and play. The Running Room will be running out of the Nike Lounge in Toronto (North of Summerhill station on Yonge St.) so it should be a good day. Even better if I win the trip for 4 to run the first 10K in Melbourne then back across the dateline to run 10K in LA all on the same day! Holy destination runs batman!!

Anyway, joining these challenges (Men vs. Women, North America vs. Europe) and seeing my results online (and sharing them with you and THE WORLD) will basically shame me into sticking to a program this month. See you on the road (or online)...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How did you do in the race yesterday? Did you join the run at the Nike Lounge in Toronto?