Thursday, August 07, 2008

Lance Armstrong is my new best friend

...only he doesn't know it yet because we haven't met. But I hear his voice motivating me after my runs and boy does it feel great!

Now that I have been using my Nike plus (Nike+) system with my iPod I have been synching my runs and watching my progress online. It is motivating to see a chart of your run. I have also set challenges for myself (doing 12 runs in 4 weeks and logging miles to help North America win the Battle of the Continents and boost the mileage for the Women vs. Men). Just like those video game players who play with a headset at home against people around the world, you can "compete" with other runners virtually through the nikeplus.com website

The best part is whenever you finish a run, if you have improved Lance Armstrong comes on afterward and congratulates you. Yes, Lance Armstrong. Yes, wirelessly. It is the coolest thing. Even after my crappy run last Saturday, I ended my workout and suddenly heard: "This is Lance Armstrong. Congratulations! This is your longest workout yet!" And then today, I ran 4K after work with the Running Room and heard: "This is Lance Armstrong. Congratulations! You just achieved a new PR for the 1 mile distance." [Note: PR is Personal Record, the new term for Personal Best] I told my fellow runners: "Lance Armstrong just talked to me again. He told me I did a new PR for the mile." Apparently Paula Radcliffe comes on also. Can't wait! Yay me! Yay Lance Armstrong!

No comments: