Monday, August 25, 2008

Cagey TIFF VISA programmers

Seems TIFF has decided to recycle its best Roy Thomson Hall GALAS at the VISA Screening Room at the Elgin the next day (Burn After Reading, Rachel Getting Married). TIFF is also showing Che Part 1 and Che Part 2 on separate days. Hmmm, why not take a 4+ hour movie (258 minutes at Cannes) and screen it over 2 nights and we'll have 1 less movie to program. BRILLIANT! They have also put Darren Aronovsky (The Fountain, ugh!) and Ghost Town (c'mon) in this year's VISA lineup. Ghost Town? With Ricky Gervais? Saw the trailer yesterday when we saw Tropic Thunder and only Ricky Gervais thinks he is as great as he thinks he is. WHERE IS W. by Oliver Stone? Why don't this year's VISA subscribers get the privilege (pain) of seeing another high-budget Canadian co-production like Beowulf & Grendel which Ivana and I suffered through in 2005? It was so captivating we walked out after 25 minutes! Grrrrr TIFF programmers Grrrr. You'd better have some decent movies in the general schedule for me to use my 10 tickets for, or else I'll only be able to sign up for Tiburzi 2 and The Hips of JW Deux. We'll see tomorrow (Tuesday) when the complete film schedule is published. Stay tuned fair readers!

No VISA this year
Unless we pay forty bucks
Spend it at Winners?

2 comments:

BunkleLife said...

LOL! Ok, Oliver Stone makes me want to poke my eyes out (heavyhanded emotional manipulation much?? Oh that's right Oliver, I didn't realize I was SUPPOSED to tear up at this point, thanks for pointing it out...), and I think Gervais is a small screen SUPERSTAR , but have to agree re the choice of screening his new film.
All in all, I have no sympathy for your TIFF frustration. In fact, I wish I had TIFF frustration. I so miss spending hours in the lineup on the labour day weekend..wondering...wishing. Honestly, I really do.
I do hope you find some gems to see though. I will be thinking of you!

haikugirl said...

If you're pointing out the heavyhanded heavyweights, you must include the trifecta: Oliver, Steven Spielberg and Spike Lee.