Saturday, September 29, 2007

Race Expo: Yarms & Dreaming of Rome & Big Sur

Friday I met Rich at the Race Expo at MTCC. Massive lineup but it was a bunch of high school students waiting to check out the Universities Fair. We bypassed them and headed upstairs where we saw Frances - a JeansMarines alum who is running Chicago next weekend. We sailed through bib pick-up and chip activation and then saw John "The Penguin" Bingham and Coach Jenny Hadfield co-authors of the book Marathoning for Mortals which JeansMarines issued to us when we joined. I asked John a question about the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington and he gave us some great race tips. They cheerfully signed my book (John's running 5K Sunday and Jenny's doing the half) then Rich scored a Fuel Belt and I got accessories from The Runners Shop where I had recently bought my new runners. Rich had to go and I lingered to pick up a cool runnning jersey and yarm by Robena. The pattern I chose isn't on the website but the maker was wearing it - it's bright red and orange with flowers and white stripes, kind of a cross between flame'n and white flowers on red. It is really bright and cheery. I was considering buying the jazz jersey instead but I already have a lot of blue running shirts. And you can tuck the yarm in the pockets on the back of the jersey so it will be great to put on when I'm out after a run!

This morning it was blissful to sleep in till 9:30 (normally we would have been running for over two hours already) and I've been sifting through the race flyers I picked up at the expo. Dreaming of running the Maratona di Roma or the Big Sur International Marathon next Spring (the cut off is an agressive 6 hours so I might not be able to complete that anyway). The Loch Ness Marathon sounds interesting - too bad it's next weekend - another year maybe? So many marathons... so little time.

No comments: