Monday, September 10, 2007

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Elizabeth was gorgeous and gripping and great. Cate Blanchett embodied the role and the character is so strong (GIRLPOWER!), it was a delight to watch. Director Shekhar Kapur was there for Q&A and warmly shared lots of stories about writing and filming this epic and some of the creative licenses he took. (i.e. some historical events were out of sequence, England's defeat of the Spanish Armada took 3 months, not overnight as it seemed in the movie) "but then, I would have used up all my budget... and we'd all be speaking Spanish".

Shekhar wants to make a third film but only if Cate is willing. She had to be convinced to do this one. In one movie magazine it says: "Clive Owen is doing it, and Geoffrey (Rush) is coming back again so I thought, I'm just being churlish if I say no to this." This summer I learned about the word churlish from my UK running partner Hardish so I knew exactly what Cate meant. I think Elizabeth is probably my favourite film at this year's fest for its sheer spectacle and the inspiration of this enduring character. MMMM

No comments: