Tuesday, January 08, 2008

haikugirls' 2007 Movie Picks

My top movie list for 2007 has some notable exceptions. Since I opted out of violence and gore you won't see the big award contenders American Gangster, Eastern Promises, No Country for Old Men and Sweeney Todd on my list. I will see them eventually, but only when I'm ready to plug my ears and cover my eyes for long periods in my basement screening room.

2007
not the best year for movies
my list of top picks:

1 My favourite movie of 2007 was Marathon Women by me and Tamara (natch) but because it's not a feature I guess I might have to provide another pick... so:
1 In Bloom - my highlight of TIFF and the best entry in this year's Evan Rachel Wood filmfest (as opposed to the Don Cheadle filmfest in 2005) Haven't seen this haunting film get distribution yet (maybe because of the sensitive subject matter) but Gus Van Sant's Elephant made it to screens so we'll have to see.
2 In the Shadow of the Moon - interviews with the handful of men who've walked on or orbited the moon. with interesting behind-the-scenes stories of the space program and the personalities behind it (Neil Armstrong declined to appear) This film was beautiful and poetic way to begin the Hot Docs 2007 festival along with the opening night invitation-only GALA party at the Design Exchange (DX). I actually felt like a real director and schmoozer
3 Bourne Ultimatum - non-stop action + awesome locations + hot leading man = perfect recipe for a summer blockbuster. This was right around the time I recognized that Matt Damon is a highly bankable box office star which was exactly a week before the rest of Hollywood recognized it and crowned him with that honour.
4 Elizabeth: The Golden Age - Cate Blanchett, Clive Owen, sweeping historial drama, girlpower movie, what more can I say?
5 Enchanted - another princess movie! Amy Adams RULES and this was totally charming! (Just saw her again in Junebug and in a recent GAP ad)
6 Charlie Wilson's War - Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts and Philip Seymour Hoffman are all great in this true story about the covert war in Afghanistan. Funny, timely and with a great script by Aaron Sorkin. One of these people will get an award, mark my words.
7 Chacun son Cinema - 33 iconic directors pay hommage to the Cannes filmfest - my perfect ending to this year's TIFF
8 Superbad - Superbad was supergood. Saw it right before all the seriousness of TIFF. The anti-blockbuster blockbuster.
9 Music and Lyrics - okay I think this came out on Valentine's Day in 2007 but I didn't see it till Christmas on the Movie Network and it was totally charming! I am a sucker for both Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore and the POP Goes My Heart video is absolutely HILARIOUS (both at the opening but moreso over the closing credits when they add pop-up videos - GENIUS!)
10 Across the Universe - loved the talented cast of young actors and the reinvention of so many great Beatles songs (missed it at TIFF but caught it at Varsity)
Honorable Mentions:
-Lars and the Real Girl - definitely fun. Delightful to see with the stars at the fest.
-The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - haven't seen this much talking in a western since Unforgiven but I have to include this because it was shot in Winnipeg and my brother was an extra. I think Brad gave a great understated performance that was overlooked by the Golden Globes. Casey Affleck also does very well. It's long but held my interest. Worth seeing on a snowy afternoon if you've got 3 hours to spare.

WORST Movies of 2007

1 The Host (should be renamed The Worst). I know I should have had this on last year's list (cause it was at TIFF 2006) but I think it was only in theatres in summer 2007 and I only saw it on DVD this Christmas. Don't understand what all the tremendous hype was about. I couldn't stay awake until the end so I don't even know what happens. Too bad I actually bought the DVD.
2 Married Life - painful at this year's fest - the director was needlessly fawned over - lame
3 Atonement - BOHRING, BOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHRING, and Annoying, and then when Vanessa Redgrave shows up at the end INFURIATING with a capital IN. When people told me, "it's like The English Patient" I should have remembered that I was like Elaine in Seinfeld watching The English Patient (i.e. drove me crazy, squirmed and huffed and rolled my eyes a lot, kind of like my reaction to Lord of the Rings)
4 Oceans Thirteen - a sequel gone bad. I'm one of the few who likes Oceans Twelve more than Oceans Eleven but the third one was just lame. Maybe they stole part of the script from The Host?
5 National Treasure Book of Secrets - the first is compulsively watchable; the sequel has no soul. I was really looking forward to this but was disappointed. Awesome locations + contrived, predictable plot = missed opportunity

No comments: