Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oscar Nominations and more...


The Oscar nominations were announced live this morning sometime after 8:35am. I think the Academy did a good job recognizing the best work of the year with only a few surprises. Delighted for Ellen Page that she was nominated for Best Actress - quite an achievement for such a young woman. I think Best Supporting Actress will be Cate Blanchett but I think it should be Saoirse Ronan - she played evil so well in Atonement I hope she gets it. If both she and Ellen get the Oscars, they must break some combined youth record! I think they will honour Viggo Mortensen with Best Actor because Eastern Promises got no other major nomination. I think Juno will get Best Original Screenplay and Best Adapted Screenplay will go to either Joel and Ethan Coen or Sarah Polley for Away From Her - what an honour for her! PT Andersen annoys me (sorry Jan) so I am not pulling for him or Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood. Thrilled that Ratatouille got several nominations including Best Animated Feature - that was one of my favourite Christmas presents. Enchanted has 3 out of 5 Best Original Song nominations but I think it should go to Falling Slowly from the beautiful movie Once featuring Glen Hansard of the Frames with Marketa Irglova. Congratulations and Good Luck to all the Oscar nominees! Please send me your comments and predictions! (the printable list makes it easier to review and ponder before the February 24th show)

Funny to see the stars at Sundance in the cold raving about the chance to wear jeans and down parkas - it's getting colder here in Toronto so we could definitely set their fashion trends. Sam spent an icy weekend visiting us but we did buy a gorgeous 46" Samsung LCD HDTV on sale at BestBuy. SWEET!

This morning's telecast seemed disappointingly blurry - even on both HD TVs. No one else I talked to seemed as disturbed as me but the broadcast seemed more like web quality even though I was watching an HD channel. No matter - it's always an exciting 5 minutes.

Very sad and shocked to hear of Heath Ledger. So young and full of promise - a terrible loss.

1 comment:

BunkleLife said...

At least you have the decency to apologize ;-)

Biggest sin - the fact that 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days wasn't nominated for best foreign film.

I am trying to make myself see Atonement....and GO Glen Hansard!