Friday, August 03, 2007

Washington bound

On August 2nd I dropped off my registration form for the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, DC so I'm now officially running this race in October. I also dropped off Richard's form so he's going to be running with JeansMarines too! It is very exciting (daunting?) for both of us and our training is well underway. I ran 16K last Saturday (10 miles) and my running partner and I are running 3 times a week for an average total of 30K per week!

Yesterday in the 31 degree heat and humidity Hardish and I still ran along the lakeshore - we even made a genius haiku with my inspirational running slogan for the marathon:

GO HAIKUGIRL GO!
Run Marine Corps Marathon
Beat the F***ing BRIDGE!

Those of you who know the Washington course know the bridge is the internal deadline for the marathon - if you don't make the bridge at mile 19 within 6 hours, you don't finish. So there is added pressure but we are working hard in training to build our speed so we can beat the bridge.

Enjoy your long weekend folks!

2 comments:

Ted Fisher said...

If bears wearing track shoes were chasing me, I could maybe make it three miles.

10 miles? 19 miles? 26 miles? Unbelievable.

Wishing you the best on the run....

tf

Robert said...

Wow! good luck, both of you!