Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Lives of Others and Kinky Boots

Saw The Lives of Others - the Oscar-winning foreign film from Germany. Very powerful and note-perfect. Chilling how every room in your house could be bugged and you don't even know. Hard to believe it was all happening just over 20 years ago in East Germany - I was travelling through Europe in 1984 and later I was teaching kids who were born in 1984.

My friend's dad called it the best spy thriller he had ever seen. I loved the story and the character development. Definitely worth seeing (since I refuse to see 300 and already saw The Wind That Shakes the Barley and The Namesake at the Festival.)

Saw Kinky Boots on The Movie Network (TMN) - lots of fun (and quite experimental - thinking of our doc that's still under review). It's based on a true story of a British shoe factory that shifted production focus to stay afloat. Quite charming (and was at TIFF in 2006 I think).

Off to work to keep unpacking my boxes - our move wraps up next week but I've been in my new space for a few days. Quite a change from the old floor plan.

Went running with a friend last night (3km) and doing 6K on Saturday in preparation for next weekend's race Harry's Spring Run-off.

2 comments:

BunkleLife said...

Saw Lives of Others at VIFF last year and really liked it. Very impressive for a first film. As for 300 - it's on my list, what can I say I loved Sin City and i can't resist ripped abs (thanks to you, Rich, and Ryan Reynolds!)

Have also seen Kinky Boots. Enjoyable like a dessert...as for your doc, Tam sent me a copy that never arrived and I am still pining and waiting....

As for good things I've seen - keep your eyes open for "The Rape of Europa" - saw it at the Jewish Film Fest here, excellent documentary on Hitlers pillage of art collections, how collections were hidden and retrieved etc. I had known about this in broad strokes but not in such detail - the interviews with the "Monument Men', embedded American guys with arts backgrounds charged with doing what they could to ensure the safety and retrieval of cultural artifacts as the allies moved their troops, were particularly touching. You sense that they have never had anyone ask what it was like, and their contribution has been largely unrecognized. The film is really tightly focussed on the situation with european art during the war, but it made me think about things a little closer historically - Iraq's Museum anyone? But of course, in that situation, America didn't see any cultural artifacts worthy of preservation? Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I love that you are running - good for you MM, or I mean haikugirl :)