Thursday, September 14, 2006

Snow Cake

Snow Cake was a good vehicle for Alan Rickman and Carrie Anne Moss but they were not there tonight. Sigourney Weaver was, along with other principal Canadian cast members, but I didn't pull out my camera in the theatre (besides the fact you get yelled at for doing that now which has never been the case in all my years at the fest).

Snow Cake was filmed in Wawa, Ontario (with the big Canada goose by the lake). The producer Niv Fishman (who produces Slings and Arrows) celebrated the screenwriter as someone to watch. I thought Saturday's film Stranger Than Fiction had stronger writing. I found most of the opening exchanges between Rickman's character Alex Hughes and Vivienne (Emily Hampshire) were heavy with cliches.

The writing got fresher and the performances were fine but it's tough to watch someone play an autistic adult, even though Sigourney Weaver was pretty convincing. Some scenes were a bit too much - like we were watching I Am Sam. Would be interesting to watch on tv or to rent on DVD. As a UK-Canada co-production I expect it will end up on tv sooner or later. Scenes of driving in northern Ontario and Rickman's quest to get to Winnipeg made me smile. MMM

Winter in Wawa
Don't want to eat a Snow Cake
Alan Rickman kicks

1 comment:

Barrie said...

Thanks for this review. I'd really really like to see this!