Thursday, October 25, 2007

THANK YOU for your support!

The calls and emails are pouring in and I feel like Bartles & James (those old guys from the wine cooler ads in the late 80s): "We thank you for your support!"

THANK YOU, thank you to our wonderful family and friends for all your warm wishes and cheers - we can't believe that race weekend is actually upon us. After 39 weeks of training (nearly 9 months for me - over a year for Rich) we're flying south to run our butts off at the Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday, October 28th. Rich (a.k.a. "the star") expects to complete the 42K (26.2 miles) in under 5 hours. MMP (a.k.a. "haikugirl", a.k.a. "the tortoise") plans to cross the finish line in about 6 and a half hours. That's right, almost a workday of running with lunch and bathroom breaks slotted in. Sounds ridiculous to some of you (especially those who've done a marathon in under 4 hours - Keith & Riz you are SUPAHSTARS!) but that's my pace and I'm sticking to it. Then hopefully I will make the bridge and get my medal and a hug from a marine (see photo below!!). Mostly because I said I would and won't take no for an answer from anyone at this point. (You should have seen me run after the bus yesterday - he finally opened his door and let me on: VICTORY!)

BIG HUGS to all the JeansMarines who are heading down to DC to run or walk this race. Apparently there will be over 50 of us. I want to send SPECIAL ENCOURAGEMENT to my running partner Hardish and our running inspiration Mary H who are nursing injuries and fighting on, determined to race: YOU GO GIRLS! Remember the marine motto: Semper Fidelis (always faithful) and the unnoficial one: no one gets left behind. (Did you know there are no female marines - only marines? ;-)

Want to feel part of the marathon action? Sign up for remote runner tracking and receive live split times and finish results via pager, text message or email. Or, you can check our bib numbers after the race on the RESULTS page of the Marine Corps Marathon website marinemarathon.com. My bib number is: 30410, Richard's is 30409.

You can also send an e-greeting card from the Marine Corps Marathon to encourage a runner or congratulate a finisher. Use my gmail address at haikugirl.com) - see post below for samples.

LOVE TO ALL - TALK SOON - haikugirl

P.S. I posted some marathon haiku on the MCM discussion board. Check it out!

haiku on the road
takes us to the finish line
one step at a time

No comments: