Saturday, August 05, 2006

TIFF 2006 - the Buzz has begun

I've been checking out the News Releases on the TIFF 2006 website at bell.ca/filmfest. One GALA All the King's Men features an INCREDIBLE CAST of stars, including Sean Penn, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Patricia Clarkson, James Gandolfini, Mark Ruffalo, and Sir Anthony Hopkins. Unfortunately, we won't be seeing that this year since A) GALA tickets are almost $40 - I'd rather see a play or live music and wait to see the film in the theatre) and B) the last film we saw with Sean Penn (The Assassination of Richard Nixon) was pretty slow and dull, saved only by his appearance before the screening - only rent it if you can't sleep because it would be more effective than Ambien.

I'm also excited about the Talent Lab - TIFF invites leading filmmakers (Paul Haggis and Mary Harron are coming this year) to share their expertise and stories with up and coming filmmakers esspecially selected for the program. Talk about a dream come true! One of the lucky directors is Lara Fitzgerald - I know her sister Justine through David Chemla who used to room with her and went with her to Law School at McGill.

Another interesting GALA is Dixie Chicks - Shut Up And Sing - a documentary of the Dixie Chicks after the lead singer's remark about George Bush on the eve of the Iraq war. I bet they'll come to the screening - it's the first time a documentary has been screened as a GALA in 14 years.

Guy Maddin is screening his latest silent film Brand Upon the Brain! this year with orchestral accompaniment. Likely in the 9:30 VISA series and we switched to the 6:00 VISA sreenings this year. Now that we have a new time slot we will need to stake our claim to our regular seats on the right hand side of the Elgin near the front - the perfect spot to see the stars walk by as they come offstage.

I am still on tap to do my annual Learning Lunch presentation at work for my former Ministry of Finance colleagues. It's always a lot of fun to eat lunch and talk movies for an hour and give them tips on how to buy last minute tickets. I have started preparing my presentation and have to finish while I'm away in Winnipeg because that's the week the schedule comes out.

To prep for the SJR Reunion, Anne Gregory came over Thursday night and we spent the evening scanning old photos from "back in the day". I need to get that montage ready, but first - another coffee!

high school reunion
lots to do before the day
better book my flight

No comments: