Friday, October 07, 2005

TIFF Top Picks

Attention filmlovers: If you attended TIFF 2005, I want to hear your Best and Worst picks of the fest. List at least 3 (and up to 5) in each category. This year, I saw 11 films (less than a third of Joe's 35) and enjoyed the diversity of my choices and the access to stars on the red carpet. After 13 years, I also think I'm getting better at film selection, but you be the judge:

MM's BEST of TIFF
1. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (for Robert Downey Jr's narration and the director's surprises)
2. Thumbsucker (for Keanu's lines and Tilda Swinton's and Lou Pucci's performances - see it in theatres now!)
3. C.R.A.Z.Y. (because it was real, touching and uniquely 70's Canadian)
4. a tie: Corpse Bride (for the chance to meet Johnny Depp on the red carpet at the Elgin) and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (because I got to see it with Les Boys and it prompted such discussion afterward)
5. Sketches of Frank Gehry (for the relaxing pace and beautiful examples of his work)

MM's WORST of TIFF
1. Beowulf & Grendel (we walked out - need we say more?)
2. Entre ses mains (In His Hands) - how many times can you walk back into the arms of a killer?
3. Nanook of the North (well, at least the throatsingers were interesting)

Okay TIFF (and VIFF) veterans - let's hear from you! Post your comments on this blog or email me - you know where I live!

haikugirl / MM

1 comment:

Mathew Englander said...

I posted scores, representing my reaction to films I saw at TIFF, here.

Best:

Mother of Mine
Manderlay
Adam's Apples
The Quiet
The [Grönholm] Method
The Last Hangman
Banlieue 13

Worst:

Battle in Heaven
Les Saignantes
Time Off [Paréntesis]
À travers la forêt

Currently I am way behind in my blogging about VIFF.