Saturday, November 24, 2007

Marathon Recovery

People have been asking about my post-marathon recovery. This video from the London Marathon shows better than I can describe how people look and feel after running a marathon. SCROLL DOWN to see it (the music & video will automatically play)

Normally my recovery is pretty fast, because of the Gu gels I take on long runs and the process I follow afterward. We didn't have time for that after Washington because we were heading to our Celebration Dinner. And flying home on Monday, those bozos at Air Canada made us walk down stairs into a shed to disembark from the plane (hadn't they seen this video?)

After 2 days of general stiffness and walking funny, I finally did this:
Step 1: Draw a shallow ice cold bath and extend your legs in it for at least 5 minutes (wear a T-shirt on top to stay warm in the tub)
Step 2: Draw a full hot bath with Epsom salts and sit in it for at least 10 minutes (drink water to hydrate and stay in longer if you have time)
Step 3: Finish with the hottest possible shower with highest possible water pressure and be grateful that God created hot showers.

Then you're ready to face the day! This worked all summer after my Saturday long runs before heading out to weddings, parties, anything. And the morning of my return to work I was walking normally again, right into the lovely surprise reception my manager threw for me at the office. So SWEET! Her daughter even drew me a Congratulations! banner for my cubicle.

I also heard warnings about the post-marathon blues. I wasn't blue - I was just annoyed. With everything. The lineup at Starbucks, missing the subway, fumbling for my keys or the phone, the phone ringing in general, the lack of quality movie releases out there - whatever! I think most of the lingering effects from this have passed. I am also told that irritability is a symptom of dehydration. My frantic schedule at work and the prospect that Christmas is only 31 days away gives me other things to focus on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completed a mountain marathon yesterday (the longest I had done before was a normal half marathon), can hardly walk and just noticed how irritable I am.