Sunday, March 19, 2006

A History of Violence

Cronenberg in Cannes
Snapping shots for Premiere mag
movie was intense

Saw A History of Violence on DVD last night. Pretty intense. A clutch grabbed my heart when it started and didn't let go until the closing credits 95 minutes later. This is a violent film but it is compelling and has great performances. MMMM out of 5.

The DVD Special Features really gave insight into Cronenberg's style and approach as a director and it was fun to watch him work. His experience shines as we see him effortlessly create a relaxed set and manage to direct without being controlling. The short piece about their premiere at Cannes was enjoyable. And in one deleted scene, Ed Harris gets blown away by a shotgun and is lying there with a massive hole in his chest. Cronenberg comments: "Well, normally I would have had him take a gun out of his chest but I already did that. It would be like an hommage to myself. Which I am not above, by the way." That cracked me up. And William Hurt sounding exactly like Maria Bello's Uncle Pete from Philly was funny too.

Anyway, watch it and let me know what you think.

No comments: