Thursday, January 12, 2006

Anticipation... frustration

Last year, you read about the trials of our basement reno. In 2006, we thought we would finally move ahead and start using the space more often (hence the incentive of our TV purchase) so I bought a new leather sectional to complete our "basement loft". Yesterday I came home early from work to take delivery but the two guys couldn't get it into our basement. (They actually reminded me of the demented movers we used in November 2002 - not strong problem solvers.) After removing the door and tilting it, part 1 of the couch got stuck in the stairwell. Tossing and turning tonight in my bed I felt they should have tried removing the legs or some other way to maneouver it in the space but like I said, thinking out of the box was not their strength. Basically they seemed bitter about doing the things they needed to do (i.e. taking the door off its hinges) and didn't even come with their own tools (I supplied the measuring tape, screwdriver and hammer.) We thought of putting it upstairs and moving our current sofa and love seat down but we weren't sure they would fit in the stairwell either. And then I'd be paying these bitter guys extra to do it all. Richard and I will need to go back to the store and check out our options. A real drag since we are expecting 15 people (friends and their kids) for dinner on Saturday. I think Simon at work jinxed me because he kept saying about my delivery "it's not coming, it's not coming" and now he's right. Stay tuned for the next chapter...

No comments: